Magic mushrooms are diverse in their uses, effects, and compound composition. In the past, shamans used the fungi for spiritual and religious purposes, while the hippies sought it for its recreational properties.

Along the way, it was discovered that the shrooms held the potential of becoming powerful therapeutic agents that could help with conditions such as depression, anxiety, and addiction.

While a substantial number of people have embraced magic mushrooms, there are still some uncertainties surrounding the fungi. For example, many people have this question lingering in their minds: are magic mushrooms addictive?


Magic Mushrooms are not addictive

Are magic mushrooms addictive? The answer is no; it is not possible to become addicted to or dependent on magic mushrooms. Addiction can be defined as the inability of an individual to stop using a substance despite the adverse side effects attached to its use. An addict will continue seeking the drug even after witnessing or experiencing health, family, or social problems brought about by its consumption.

When a person becomes dependent on a substance, they cannot function at full capacity without consuming the drug. They experience physical and mental withdrawal symptoms, such as sweating, anxiety, vomiting, insomnia, and general body pain.

Drugs such as alcohol and opioids may require an individual to go to rehab to overcome the addiction, but with psilocybin, ceasing use does not require any professional intervention.


Magic mushroom tolerance

Consuming shrooms regularly will lead to the body building up a tolerance. With each dose, the body adapts to the psilocybin, making it impossible to attain the same results with a set quantity of the fungi. Increasing the dosage becomes imperative in order to enjoy the myriad of benefits it offers.  

However, regular consumption over a long period may render the drug ineffective regardless of the dose quantity. With such a high tolerance for psilocybin, an individual’s system becomes tolerant of other types of hallucinogens, such as LSD, ayahuasca, and MDMA. This is referred to as cross-tolerance.

addiction 2


Can you overdose on magic mushrooms?

Consuming an overdose of magic shrooms may lead to effects such as terrifying hallucinations, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, or coma. The toxicity levels of mushrooms are too low for it to be fatal even when taken in excess.

For magic mushrooms to be fatal, you will have to consume a thousand times the regular dose. This makes it nearly impossible for anyone to die from an overdose. 

An overdose episode of shrooms takes around 8 hours to end, although the consumer might still experience some side effects for days.

Best practices when it comes to magic mushroom consumption

To avoid psilocybin tolerance, always ensure you take the recommended dose of magic mushrooms when tripping. Do not overdose or take the shrooms regularly. Tripping once or twice a month is sufficient to achieve your spiritual, recreational, therapeutic, or religious needs.

Ensure you are in the right state of mind and that the set and setting is favorable to mushroom consumption.


Take away

Magic mushrooms are not addictive, and it’s almost impossible to die from an overdose. However, regular use can lead to tolerance, which means you will have to take higher doses of psilocybin to achieve the results you once did on a lower dose. Always ensure you take shrooms rarely, safely, within the recommended dose.

Magic Mushroom Dispensary offers Canadian residents a wide variety top-notch magic mushroom products sourced from all over the world from edibles to capsules to dried or raw magic  mushrooms. Visit our online shop today for the best deals.

Previous reading
Microdosing Shrooms to Reduce Anxiety and Boost Productivity
Next reading
5 Mistakes to Avoid During Your Psychedelic Trip